Friday, December 13, 2013

Mom's Chamorro Sweet Rolls

It's especially during the holidays that we remember our family no longer with us, like my Grandmother on my Mom's side, we called her Mom. I call my own mother Mom too, but somehow we always knew who was who. But to other people, we would refer to her as Grandma Mom. She made great Chamorro Sweet Rolls. She taught me many things, how to crochet, how to make jam, how to make Hagun Suni, even if she made it with spinach, but that was only because it's fairly hard to find young taro leaves in Vancouver, Washington, on Guam she always used taro leaves. But I digress. It's the way her hands moved that I remember and how she laughed at the size of my rolls. We eat them because they're delicious but also because they help us to remember her, through her yummy food! I'd post a picture, but I can't find one and my sister Carma has wanted this recipe for a week now, and I've been busy celebrating the Christmas Cheer with parties, and a trip to Vegas!  Here's the recipe!  Happy Baking! 

Mom’s Chamorro Sweet Rolls
1 pkg yeast
1 ¼ cup warm water (105-115F)
1 tablespoon sugar
5 cups flour
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons water

Mix yeast, warm water and 1 tablespoon sugar together in small bowl and set aside.  Put four cups flour, powdered milk and 1 cup sugar together in large bowl. Mix in butter (cold) until well mixed. Add yeast mixture to flour and knead dough, adding in the last cup of flour as needed. The dough should be soft but not sticky. Place into a butter greased bowl, flip once and cover with a clean tea towel. Let rise covered until double, this may take 2-6 hours depending on the ambient temperature in your kitchen. Punch down dough and knead again about fifteen to twenty turns. Make into little rolls, place in greased baking pan give them a little room so they don’t touch about an inch in between, cover with a tea towel and let rise for 2-6 hours again or until doubled (again, this depends on the temperature in your kitchen). Beat the egg with two tablespoons cold water in a small bowl, then brush this over the dough just before putting into the oven.  Bake at 350F 15-20 minutes until golden brown and delicious.

No comments: