Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Red Tailed Hawk in Golden Gate Park

It's not that I haven't seen Red Tailed Hawks in Golden Gate Park. I've seen plenty of them, but they're usually very high up in the trees. This one was just sitting on a stump while McCool, Bailey and I were walking home. It was about 3:30pm, late afternoon, but plenty of sun and there he was. Just sitting there, see he is there in the center of the picture on a little stump. Didn't move, didn't seem to care that a human and two dogs were strolling by. I pulled out my Blackberry Storm and tried to get the camera working. Two cars drove by and still the hawk just sat there. Then he flew off, holding a small blackbird in his talons. He didn't go to a high branch, still a lower one, and began eating his prey. I tried to get some pictures, but the camera on these phones aren't that great. I need to remember to just bring my camera with me always. I thought about it before I left the house but decided against it. It would have gotten a much better picture. It was a sight to see that large bird spread its wings with prey in hand only ten feet from me.
image
image

No comments: